East Surrey and Kent Wheels to Work

         A moped loan scheme that has been running in East Surrey
and Kent since April 2014

What is East Surrey and Kent Wheels 2 Work?

It is a moped loan scheme for residents of East Surrey and Kent  aged 16 or over who have a firm offer of full time work, training or education that they are unable to reach by public transport or public transport is not suitable (example: the journey by public transport does not work because of timing or time traveling is easier by bike.

What area does it cover?

To be eligible to apply, you must be a resident of East Surrey or Kent and your household must pay Council Tax in one of those areas.

How far can I travel? 

You can travel freely from your home to place of employment, training , education or social.

What is the loan period of the moped?

Loans are usually for up to one year but may be extended in exceptional circumstances.

How much does it cost?

125 cc £36 per week   £156.00 per month

Or if you are 16 to 17 years 50 cc  £28 per week   £121.33 per month

Who taxes and insures the moped?

The mopeds are owned, taxed and insured by the East Surrey Rural Transport Partnership. In the event of an insurance claim, the policy excess will be payable by the rider. Click this link to visit Prime Factors Website

What about servicing?

Mopeds are serviced at our nearest motorcycle dealership. Riders are expected to take their mopeds to be serviced where they can choose to either wait at the dealership whilst the service is completed, or book a courtesy moped through the coordinator (subject to availability)

Do I need a licence to ride a moped?

Yes. You must have either a provisional or full licence to ride a moped. Licence application forms are available from your local post office or may be ordered online from www.gov.uk

Do I need special training?

Yes. The rules are constantly updated. All new riders on a provisional licence and all new car drivers with a full licence will need to hold a certificate of "Compulsory Basic Training" (CBT) that we will pay for,before being allowed to take to the road on a moped. The scheme includes a one day CBT course which includes classroom tuition, off road and on road tuition and is held at a local approved training center. It also includes a Safety Seminar which each rider will be required to attend after successfully completing CBT.

Do I need special safety clothing?

Yes, but the scheme will loan you all you need free of charge! You will get a motorcycle helmet, padded reflective jacket and padded gloves which are yours to keep at the end of a 6-month loan. Drivers leaving the scheme any earlier will be required to hand back the jacket and gloves but may keep the helmet.

Do I need parental permission to join the scheme if I am 16 or 17 years old?

Yes. All riders are asked to sign our "Moped Loan Terms and Conditions" and as a legal document, all those riders under the age of 18 will need their parent(s) or guardian(s) to act as a guarantor.

To apply to join

If you would like to apply to join the scheme please complete an application form: Links below.


warren lane depot warren lane

Follow Link For AJH Training

Then either post it to us at the address shown on the form or, if using the Word file, save it and email it to us at: rtp@tandridge.gov.uk

In case of difficulties, please use the contact page on this site or contact ESRTP and ask for a form to be posted to you.

Other Forms and Paperwork

The following documents can also be downloaded using the links below